Wow. My heart and mind are so full after what was an incredible day of learning, exploration, and growth. My teacher candidate “bubble” of myself, Daniel, and Cedar, gathered to co-learn and collaborate for September 25th’s Virtual Indigenous Professional Development Day – And what a day it was.

We began the day with drumming from Lheidli T’enneh drummers. I loved the beat and the feeling of the music filling the room as my classmates and I prepared for a full day of learning. I even recognized a few of the drummers from personally drumming with them at the Gathering Place on UNBC Campus.

Our first keynote was Dr. Dustin Louie, who is such an impressive individual. His work on Sexual Exploitation of Indigenous Women, Homelessness in Indigenous communities, and working in Land Claims Law is all extraordinary and really shows who this man is as a person. I feel so humbled and grateful to have attended his keynote speech, even if only through Zoom. On our snack break, Cedar, Dan and I barely spoke to one another as we were absorbing and sitting with what we had just heard.

For our sessions, we attended Land As Our Teacher, with Leyton Shnellert, Noelle Pepin, and Pam Spooner. This session consisted of both lecture style learning and break-out rooms (which were amazing!) We loved being in the breakout rooms, getting to connect with teachers from throughout the district, and Daniel and I got some time to connect with Pam, who gave us a very warm welcome. We did not feel as though we were “only” teacher candidates – we felt a complete sense of belonging. Though I am an aspiring primary teacher, I felt drawn to this session as it pertains to the middle grades of 4-9. These are grades I feel a sense of inexperience towards, and the topic of Land AS our Teacher truly pulled me in.

On Lunch, Cedar, Dan, and I went for a walk in nature to discuss and reflect on what we had learnt. We thought that getting outside and being one with our place would help us to feel connected to our learning. When we returned we felt ready to accept whatever our afternoon had to offer us.

The final keynote – Dr. Niiganwewidam Sinclair, I listened to while laying on my couch with my eyes closed, with only the occasional comments between myself, Dan, and Cedar. We were all engrossed in our learning and eager to absorb all that we could. I loved the powerful statements throughout his speech. If one cannot work with Indigenous People, they do not deserve to work. Though provocative, this statement sat with me and truly resonated. I connected with his honesty and sense of true urgency in his keynote presentation.

Leaving this day of growth and learning, to the rhythmic heartbeat of the drums, I thought about what is to come next. What is true reconciliation? What is my role and responsibility to the future generations of this land?

This day was powerful because it gave Indigenous voices a platform to be heard from. As a non-Indigenous future educator, it is my responsibility to seek out Indigenous voices and provide a platform in my future classrooms. I hope to never stop learning, and never stop growing. I hope that this energy can fill my classrooms and my future students hearts and minds.

Reconciliation CAN be achieved, but it takes all of us to get there.