Educators value the involvement and support of parents, guardians, families and communities in schools.

The involvement of families and communities in schools cannot be understated. In my practicums, I made an effort to open the lines of communication between myself and parents, before I had even begun teaching. Welcome letters and personal contact info were shared, and my presence on class websites such as ClassDojo was made prominent! Once I was in the classroom, I enjoyed reading and responding to notes from parents passed back and forth in backpack folders, and posting progress and pictures of the class onto the class websites. I asked my Coaching Teachers if I could be the one to welcome and dismiss my students in the mornings and afternoons when families came for drop offs and pick ups. By the end of my practicums, the notes from families that flooded in thanking me brought tears to my eyes! Some of these notes still remain on my kitchen refrigerator. In my second practicum, the global pandemic of COVID-19 made face to face contact with parents difficult, but I was proud of the work I put in to strengthen these relationships online and through note writing.

Attached you will find a welcome letter that I sent out to parents in my second practicum. Please advice that my Coaching Teacher’s name has been removed to respect privacy.

CPaterson – Practicum intro letter

Furthermore, please enjoy this example of a year start brochure I made up for my favourite grade, Kindergarten. This brochure has not been used in any official capacity, but I anticipate that once I begin my teaching career I will adapt and modify this brochure to meet the diverse grades that I may teach.

CPaterson – Kindergarten Welcome Letter