Educators demonstrate a broad knowledge base and an understanding of areas they teach.

Becoming an educator has brought about so many opportunities for me. One of these opportunities, is the opportunity to expand my knowledge base – on subjects I never imagined I would be learning so much about! When my students demonstrate an interest in a certain topic or subject, I have been taking it upon myself to learn alongside them. Topics I now consider myself a casual expert on are the Mars Rovers, the International Space Station, Ancient Egypt, fishing traps, Minecraft, duck-billed dinosaurs, the history of Leprechauns, and survival tactics for the British Columbian climate. Something that has surprised me, is how much fun I have learning about what my students are interested in! The process of inquiry is so rewarding and FUN. I am discovering how to match curricular competencies and content to the ideas that my students have, and our classroom is becoming such a beautiful place of wonder, curiosity, and joyful discovery. 

In learning alongside my students, I have discovered what type of learning best stimulates them as well. Hands-on, inquiry based learning has lead my students to develop stronger questioning, and to find passion in their work. 

A particular area of interest for my class has been ADST based assignments. There are many students who have historically struggled with “traditional” academics, and watching them thrive in ADST based work has been an absolute joy. I have taken it upon myself to research ADST, its benefits and rewards for all ranges of students, and potential adaptations to assignments to include stronger ADST based assessments. My latest ADST assignment has been having my students plan, prepare, and build “The Ultimate Chicken Houses” for our Science Unit on hatching chicks. This assignment was wildly successful and each and every one of my students was engaged, enthusiastic, and full of life during the time that these lessons took place. 

I will never stop learning alongside my students, but learning about their interests and their strengths is a journey I will always enjoy.

Please find attached a sample ADST lesson plan: